top of page

Advanced Tax Code Checker: Verify Your Tax Code Online

Welcome to Ultra Tax Ltd's comprehensive Tax Code Checker, designed to help you verify your tax code quickly and accurately. Staying on the correct tax code is essential to avoid overpaying or underpaying your taxes. Whether you're an employee, self-employed, or retired, our tool ensures you stay compliant with HMRC regulations and keep more of your hard-earned money. Use our Tax Code Checker today to avoid unexpected tax bills and make informed financial decisions.


Use our Tax Code Checker to verify your tax code in minutes. Stay compliant and avoid unexpected tax bills.

Uk Tax Rebate Calculator

How to Use the Tax Code Checker

Using our Tax Code Checker is easy and straightforward:


Enter Your Details: Fill in the provided fields with your tax code information.

Click 'Check Your Tax Code': Receive instant feedback on your tax code status.

Get Expert Help: If your tax code is incorrect, contact our professional accountants for expert advice on how to correct it.

Why Use Our Tax Code Checker?

Using the correct tax code is essential for accurate tax calculations. Our UK Tax Code Checker makes this process simple and hassle-free, ensuring you:


Stay Compliant: Avoid unexpected tax bills by ensuring your tax code is correct.

Maximise Your Income: Prevent overpayment of taxes and keep more of your hard-earned money.

Plan Your Finances: Accurate tax code information helps you plan your finances effectively.

List of UK Tax Codes and Their Meanings

Standard Tax Codes


1257L: This is the most common tax code, providing the standard Personal Allowance of £12,570 for the tax year. It means you can earn up to £12,570 tax-free.

L: This code indicates that you are entitled to the standard Personal Allowance. It is often used in combination with a number (e.g., 1257L).


Tax Codes for Second Jobs and Pensions


BR: Basic Rate – All your income from this source is taxed at 20%, with no Personal Allowance. Commonly used for second jobs or pensions.

D0: Higher Rate – All your income from this source is taxed at 40%, with no Personal Allowance. Also used for second jobs or additional sources of income.

D1: Additional Rate – All your income from this source is taxed at 45%, with no Personal Allowance.


Emergency and Non-standard Tax Codes


0T: No Personal Allowance – Used when your Personal Allowance has been fully used up or when HMRC does not have enough information about your income.

W1/M1: Week 1/Month 1 – Emergency tax codes indicating that your tax is calculated on a non-cumulative basis, meaning each pay period is treated in isolation.

NT: No Tax – No tax is deducted from your income. This code is rare and used in specific circumstances.


Marriage Allowance Tax Codes


M: Marriage Allowance – Indicates that you are receiving 10% of your partner’s Personal Allowance.

N: Marriage Allowance Transfer – Indicates that you are transferring 10% of your Personal Allowance to your partner.


K Tax Codes


K: Indicates that your total allowances are less than your total deductions, such as company benefits or tax owed from previous years. The number that follows shows how much should be added to your taxable income.


Scottish Tax Codes


S: Indicates that your income is subject to Scottish Income Tax rates.

S0T: Scottish equivalent of 0T.

SBR: Scottish equivalent of BR.

SD0: Scottish equivalent of D0.

SD1: Scottish equivalent of D1.

SK: Scottish equivalent of K

Understanding Your Tax Code: Tax Example

If your tax code includes a number and a letter (e.g., 1257L), the number represents the amount of tax-free income you can earn. You multiply the number by 10 to get your total tax-free allowance. The letter provides additional information about your tax status.


​Detailed Examples

Example 1: Basic Rate Taxpayer (BR)

John has two jobs. His main job uses the standard tax code 1257L, and his second job uses the BR tax code.


Main Job Income: £25,000

Second Job Income: £10,000


Main Job Tax: John’s income from his main job is taxed after his Personal Allowance of £12,570.

Taxable Income: £25,000 - £12,570 = £12,430

Tax: £12,430 x 20% = £2,486


Second Job Tax: All of John’s second job income is taxed at 20%.

Tax: £10,000 x 20% = £2,000


Total Tax Paid: £2,486 + £2,000 = £4,486


Example 2: Higher Rate Taxpayer (D0)

Sarah earns £60,000 from her primary job, which uses the tax code 1257L. She also receives a pension of £20,000, taxed under the D0 code.


Primary Job Income: £60,000

Taxable Income: £60,000 - £12,570 = £47,430

Tax: (£37,700 x 20%) + (£9,730 x 40%) = £7,540 + £3,892 = £11,432


Pension Income: £20,000 taxed at 40%

Tax: £20,000 x 40% = £8,000

Total Tax Paid: £11,432 + £8,000 = £19,432

What is a Tax Code?

A tax code is a series of letters and numbers used by tax authorities, such as HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) in the United Kingdom, to determine how much income tax should be deducted from an individual's earnings or pension. It essentially represents an individual's tax allowances and indicates how much tax-free income they are entitled to receive in a given tax year. The tax code helps employers and pension providers calculate the correct amount of tax to deduct through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system.

Key Components of a Tax Code



The numbers in a tax code usually indicate the amount of tax-free income you can earn in a tax year, known as your personal allowance. For example, if your tax code is 1257L, the number 1257 means you are entitled to £12,570 of tax-free income in the tax year.




The letters in a tax code provide additional information about your tax situation. Common letters include:


L: Entitled to the standard personal allowance.

M: Married or in a civil partnership and receiving 10% of your partner’s personal allowance.

N: Married or in a civil partnership and transferring 10% of your personal allowance to your partner.

T: Used when there are other items HMRC needs to review.

BR: All income is taxed at the basic rate (20%) without any personal allowance, typically used for a second job or pension.

D0: All income is taxed at the higher rate (40%).

D1: All income is taxed at the additional rate (45%).

K: Indicates you have taxable benefits or income that exceed your personal allowance, leading to a negative tax-free amount.

How Tax Codes Are Determined

HMRC determines your tax code based on several factors, including:


Personal Allowance: The basic amount of income you're allowed to earn tax-free, which is set by the government each tax year.


Income and Benefits: All sources of income, including wages, pensions, and taxable benefits like a company car or private medical insurance.


Deductions and Reliefs: Adjustments for certain expenses or tax reliefs you may be entitled to, such as pension contributions or charitable donations.

Previous Year’s Tax Information: Information from your previous tax returns can also influence your current tax code.

Importance of Your Tax Code

Accurate Tax Deductions: Ensures that the correct amount of tax is deducted from your income throughout the year, preventing underpayment or overpayment.


Financial Planning: Helps in planning your finances by giving you a clear understanding of your net income after tax deductions.

Avoiding Penalties: Correct tax codes reduce the risk of unexpected tax bills and penalties for incorrect tax payments.

Checking and Updating Your Tax Code

It’s essential to regularly check your tax code, especially if there are changes in your income or personal circumstances, such as getting a new job, starting a pension, or receiving new benefits. HMRC typically issues tax code notifications through a document called a P2 Notice of Coding. If you believe your tax code is incorrect, you should contact HMRC to update your information and ensure your tax deductions are accurate.

UK Tax Codes:

A tax code is a crucial element in the tax system that ensures you pay the correct amount of income tax through the PAYE system. Understanding how your tax code is determined and what it represents can help you manage your finances more effectively and avoid potential tax issues. Regularly reviewing and updating your tax code with HMRC is an essential part of maintaining accurate and fair tax payments.

Tax Code Tax Rebates:

Discovering that you’ve been on the wrong tax code, such as BR, may entitle you to a tax rebate if you’ve overpaid tax. Here are scenarios where you might be due a tax refund:


Multiple Jobs


If you hold multiple jobs and one of them has applied the BR tax code incorrectly, you may have paid too much tax across your income sources.


Incorrect or Outdated Tax Code


An incorrect or outdated tax code could result in overpayment of tax. Checking and updating your tax code with HMRC ensures you’re paying the correct amount based on your circumstances.


Unclaimed Allowances


Failing to claim allowances such as the Marriage Allowance or work-related expenses can lead to higher tax payments than necessary. Ensure you’re aware of all applicable allowances to optimise your tax position.

How Ultra Tax Ltd Can Help You With Your Tax Codes and Tax Rebates

At Ultra Tax Ltd, we specialise in resolving tax code issues and assisting clients in claiming tax rebates they’re entitled to. Here’s how our expertise can benefit you:


Expert Review and Correction


Our tax experts will review your tax situation, identify any errors in your tax code application, and ensure it is corrected promptly with HMRC.


Claiming Overpaid Tax


If you suspect you’ve overpaid tax due to an incorrect tax code like BR, we’ll assist you in claiming back any money owed to you through the tax rebate process. You can use our free online Tax Rebate Calculator to instantly get an estimate of your Tax Rebate.


Proactive Tax Management


We provide proactive tax advice to ensure you understand your tax code implications and maximise tax efficiency within the legal framework.

Common Questions About Tax Codes

What is a tax code?


A tax code is a combination of numbers and letters used by HMRC to indicate how much Income Tax should be deducted from your pay or pension.


How often are tax codes updated?


Tax codes are typically updated annually at the start of the new tax year but can be updated at any time if your circumstances change.


What if I have multiple jobs or pensions?


HMRC will allocate your Personal Allowance to your main job or pension. Other sources of income might use different tax codes such as BR, D0, or D1.


Why has my tax code changed? 


Your tax code can change for various reasons, such as starting a new job, receiving a company benefit, changing your marital status, or having changes in taxable income.


What should I do if I receive a tax code notice from HMRC?


Review the tax code notice carefully to ensure the information is correct. If you believe there is an error, contact HMRC immediately to rectify it.


Can my tax code affect my take-home pay?


Yes, an incorrect tax code can result in too much or too little tax being deducted from your pay. It is important to ensure your tax code is correct to avoid discrepancies in your take-home pay.


How do I correct an incorrect tax code?


If you think your tax code is incorrect, contact HMRC to explain the issue. You may need to provide additional information about your income and circumstances to have it corrected.


What does a ‘K’ tax code mean?

A ‘K’ tax code indicates that your total allowances are less than your total deductions. This could be due to taxable benefits from your employer or unpaid tax from previous years.


Do tax codes apply to all forms of income?


Tax codes primarily apply to income from employment and pensions. Other forms of income, such as savings interest, rental income, or self-employment earnings, are usually taxed differently and may require self-assessment.


Can I have the same tax code as someone else?


Yes, many people can have the same tax code, such as 1257L, which is the standard code for individuals receiving the standard Personal Allowance. The specific combination of numbers and letters is what makes a tax code unique to an individual’s circumstances.


What happens if I overpay tax due to an incorrect tax code?


If you overpay tax because of an incorrect tax code, you can claim a tax rebate from HMRC. It’s important to keep track of your tax payments and rectify any issues as soon as possible.


​What should I do if I underpay tax because of an incorrect tax code?


If you underpay tax due to an incorrect tax code, HMRC will likely adjust your tax code to recover the owed amount in subsequent tax periods. You might also receive a tax bill for the outstanding amount.


How do I know if my tax code is correct?


Your tax code is usually included on your payslip, P60, and P45. You can also check it by logging into your personal tax account on the HMRC website or contacting HMRC directly.


How does Marriage Allowance affect my tax code?


If you or your partner apply for Marriage Allowance, it will be reflected in your tax codes. The person transferring the allowance will have an N code, and the recipient will have an M code.


​What is an emergency tax code?


An emergency tax code, such as 0T, W1, or M1, is used when HMRC does not have enough information about your income. This code ensures you pay tax but might not account for your personal allowance and other tax reliefs correctly.


​Can my tax code be wrong if I switch jobs?


Yes, when you change jobs, your new employer might not have complete information about your previous income, which could lead to an incorrect tax code being applied. Make sure to check and update your tax code when you start a new job.


For more information or assistance with your tax code, contact us today.

Additional Information and Related Services

Self-Assessment Tax Returns


If your tax situation is complex, such as having multiple income sources or being self-employed, we can help you navigate through:


Filing Self-Assessment Tax Returns: Our experts will ensure your tax returns are accurate and submitted on time.

Claiming Expenses and Allowances: Maximise your tax savings by claiming all eligible expenses and allowances.

Avoiding Penalties: Stay compliant with HMRC regulations to avoid late filing penalties and interest charges.


Learn More About Self-Assessment Tax Returns.


Tax Rebates and Refunds


You might be eligible for a tax rebate if you’ve overpaid tax. Ultra Tax Ltd can assist you in:


Identifying Overpayments: We’ll review your tax payments and identify any overpayments.

Claiming Refunds: Handle the entire refund claim process with HMRC on your behalf.

Maximising Your Refund: Ensure you receive the maximum refund you’re entitled to.


Learn More About Tax Rebates and Refunds.


Payroll Services


​Managing payroll and ensuring correct tax codes for employees can be challenging. Our payroll services include:


Accurate Payroll Processing: Ensure your employees are paid accurately and on time.

Tax Code Management: Regular updates and adjustments to employee tax codes to reflect any changes.

Compliance and Reporting: Stay compliant with HMRC payroll regulations and reporting requirements.

Learn More About Payroll Services.

Stay Informed and Manage Your Finances Better

Understanding your tax code and ensuring it is correct can save you from potential financial discrepancies. Regularly checking your tax code and understanding its implications is a smart financial practice. At Ultra Tax Ltd, we are here to help you with all your tax-related queries and ensure your tax affairs are in order.


For more information or assistance with your tax code, contact us today.

bottom of page