top of page

What Records Should I Keep for My
Tax Return?

For your Self-Assessment tax return, it's crucial to keep detailed records of all your income and expenses.

This includes, but is not limited to, your P60 or P45 forms, invoices and receipts for business expenses, bank statements, and records of any personal income, such as from property or investments.


If you're self-employed, maintain a clear account of your sales and expenses, along with evidence of any capital expenditure. You can do this by keeping spreadsheets, investing in online Accounting software, or hiring a professional Accountant to keep on top of your records for you.


Keeping these records organised and readily accessible not only simplifies the process of filing your Self-Assessment Tax Return, but also ensures you're prepared in case HMRC requests evidence to support your claims.


It is a requirement to keep all of your income and expense documents for at least six years from the end of the relevant tax year.

Ultra Tax Ltd Accountants
bottom of page