top of page

Can I claim a Tax Rebate for previous years?

Yes, you can claim a tax rebate for previous years if you've overpaid taxes during those periods.


The process involves reviewing your tax records for up to four previous tax years to identify any overpayments.


Common reasons for overpayment in previous years include not working the full tax year, being on the wrong tax code, or not claiming eligible expenses and reliefs.

To initiate a claim, you'll need to gather relevant documents such as P60s, P45s, and receipts for work-related expenses.

It's important to note that there are deadlines for claiming rebates for prior Tax years, so timely action is crucial.


If you discover that you've overpaid, you can submit a claim to HMRC, who will review your case and issue a rebate if applicable. This process can sometimes be complex, and take up to 6 months, so seeking advice from a tax professional can be beneficial to ensure you claim all that you're entitled to as well as saving you a lot of time and hassle. Accountants can also submit Tax Rebate claims via Self-Assessment Tax Returns to see a quicker turnaround for clients.

Ultra Tax Ltd Accountants
bottom of page