top of page

How do I get a Tax Refund as a Subcontractor?

If you’re a self-employed subcontractor under the Construction Industry Scheme (also known as CIS) you are likely be facing 20% tax being deducted from your gross pay, this would be higher, at a rate of 30% Tax if you are not registered under the Construction Industry Schem, or hold a valid UTR number. 


To find out if you’re eligible for a refund, a self-assessment tax return must be filed to include the full amounts on your invoices, whether you’ve paid CIS and any expenses you may have incurred. Your level of expenses will depend on the trade you’re in and what kind of work you’re doing. In general site work would have less incurred expenses than domestic work. 

Even if you don't think you are due a refund as a CIS Subcontractor, you are still legally required to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return if you earn more than £1,000 in a Tax Year.


Get in touch with our team to find out what you’re entitled to claim back. Our services come at a fixed low cost and the Construction industry is our speciality with an average CIS Tax Refund of over £5,000.

bottom of page